Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Little T's being transferred to the PICU

When we went in, we found out that the blood they drew from his Broviac was infected with gram negative rod bacteria. His doctor said it typically comes from poop. She ordered a blood sample drawn from his body and they'll culture that as well. If it's negative then just his Broviac is infected, which she says is pretty easily resolved by removing his Broviac. Easily meaning a minimum of 3 days in the hospital, but up to 7-10 days if the bacteria doesn't respond well to antibiotics. If it's positive, then the infection's in his entire blood system. I think that's called sepsis and is life threatening. But I'm not sure. I haven't asked, because I don't want to know right now. For me, "maybe" and "I think" is easier than "yes" and "I know" when it comes to life-threatening. I used to think differently until T was born.

T's a "tough draw". The first lab assistant tried twice and dug around in his foot and then hand as he howled. I've had nurses dig and it really hurts! He's a lot stronger and louder than back in January when they last inserted needles before he got another Broviac. So I rejoice and cringe at how hard he kicks and screams. Then two lab assistants came as a team. After a lot of prep and some digging, they managed to draw only 1 cc of blood, barely enough for 1 culture and they're supposed to do two types: aerobic and anerobic. But the positive for the Broviac was only in one type. I forget which. So they can probably get away with just doing one.

C stayed the night. C and Little T had a rough night. T's blood pressure keeps dropping and he's not doing well, so he's being transferred to the PICU(Pediatric Intensive Care Unit). K's a little sick herself with diarrhea, so we probably shouldn't take her to the PICU. I'm waiting for our nanny to arrive so I can join C at the hospital.